Saturday, July 02, 2005

Mission:Mckinney

So we were sitting in the kitchen at my best friend Rita's house, and her mom tells us about something called "Mission:Mckinney." It's a bunch of local (meaning the town of Mckinney) churches getting together for three days and fixing up old houses for people who can't do it themselves. Their church was one of the churches in Mckinney getting involved. I love working outside (don't ask me why), and I love volunteering, so I thought it sounded great.

So it's monday morning, and I had to get up at 6:00. Not too happy about that! As we were driving to the church, I actually thought to myself, "Wow, the sunrise! Haven't seen that in a while!" but it was important to work early in the morning before it got too hot. This week was the first week the temperature climbed to 100! Perfect timing! (sarcasm)

When I got there I realized it was a bunch of kids! Turns out, it wasn't churches getting together, it was church youth groups getting together. I had misheard them. Oh well! I was with a nice bunch of kids (by kids I mean about 10-15 years old) so it was all good. Plus there were a few ones that were around 16-17.

Everyone was split into groups and assigned a house. Our house, I'm guessing, was around 60 years old. It was in really bad shape! The wood was rotten and everything. I felt bad we only had the time & money for painting it, because it was in serious need of some repairs. We miraculously finished the house in three days (working from 8-12) and then all got together for pizza and a sermon. I had fun! At first I had a bad attitude about scraping off paint for hours in the heat (oh and being around really cute guys that I can't flirt with b/c they're too young for me lol) but after it was over I was actually sad!

A nice experience :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home